Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Battle for Plei Ya Bo (Three Trees)

THE BATTLE OF PLEI YA BO (Three Trees)
July 23, 1967
We were all dug in for the night. I mean we had our foxholes dug, with logs on top. Just all of a sudden there was a sudden rattle of shots off in the direction where "C" Company was dug in. Heads whipped around, weapons were snatched up, and our men started heading for their foxholes.
The initial rattle of fire was increasing, raging like a lethal windstorm in the distance. I clutched my M16 in my left hand ready for action. Shots began snapping over our heads from the direction. I don't know if you have ever experienced a bullet snapping over your head or not but the bullet makes a load crack 1st and you then hear the thud of the gun that fired the shot. Then all of a sudden our Company Commander, Captain Buie, voice came on our radios and told us leave our Rucksacks and be ready to move Eight-Threes location. This meant that we were that we were to be ready to move to "C" Company's location at the far end of the five or six-hundred-yard meadow. Just then an enemy rocket hit the trunk of a eucalyptus tree in the perimeter, raking the place with splinters and bark. We moved out through the yellow grass of the meadow under an overcast sky. The hundred and forty men of my company were in a diamond formation. There were all sorts of of sounds snapping and whooshing overhead but the real roaring sound was on the ground ahead of us. I was at the front of the diamond therefore I was among the first to reach the "C"companies perimeter. I will never forget looking for cover on the battle side of the perimeter. I remember shooting at everything that moved to my front. I remember shooting an enemy RPG ammo bearer in the mid-section thus killing him instantly and igniting all of his RPG rounds. Here comes our fighter support I heard someone shout. I looked back over my shoulder and I saw a F-100 was coming in ahead of its sound and a huge napalm canister appeared to be headed right towards me but it hit about 100 meters to my front . More fighters and more bombs. The Artillery was still firing. The shrapnel was raining down all around me. Finally all of the Artillery had been shut off and now all the noises were slackening and finally silence. I will never forget a Dustoff Chopper (Medivac Chopper) landed and then another one. Men in the crucified position arms over their buddies shoulders, were hobbling towards the choppers. Men were walking on their own power with one hand gripping the field dressing on a bloody arm. Now we're going after them.We were going to chase the enemy. Back in diamond formation again. We walked across the "C" company perimeter, some of us fixing our bayonets, and into that wall of trees where the bullets and rockets and grenades had come from. In the wet leaves and vines were bloody bandages and strange blue-dyed cotton masks, all North Vietnamese, and in a minute we came to an open space in the trees where one of their mortars had been. I found a young ammo bearer crying in pain from his wounds. We stared at the tubular cartons that had held the shells they had rained down on us. Just a few yards from where I found the NVA, all of a sudden I saw two NVA in a foxhole with their AK-47s pointed right at me. I brought up my M16 and I had the safety off. Then they threw up threw their weapons right toward me and gave themselves up. The instant that I saw them my anger vanished. Two small Vietnamese in their thirties, bareheaded and wearing sand colored uniform, had just given themselves up to me. They bowed repeatedly, as they stared up at me from their shallow foxhole, They raised both hands in the position of prayer, striking their foreheads in the Buddhist sign of mercy. One of them was slightly wounded. The engagement had started just beyond here at the widest part of this old logging road, when one of "C" company's platoons had been ambushed as they were coming back up this road, nearing the end of a patrol. About 50 yards on, beside the road, the American bodies were in stacked like green logs with white and black arms protruding from them. An effort had been made be the reinforcements from "A" company to cover them with ponchos, but the ponchos kept slipping off. There had no rounds fired by either side for a few minutes. A Chopper came in to take out the prisoners for a rapid interrogation to see if we could find out more about what we were up against. The Chopper landed, the North Vietnamese were led toward it, and a hail of shots came from the jungle, aimed at the North Vietnamese by their own men. A murderously personal high pitched snapping string of enemy machine-gun bullets came after us. The machine gun let loose another eerie burst, and then there was the sudden clanging sound of an M-16, right in there with it, dueling it. There was a short burst from the machine gun, a longer clip-emptying burst from the American weapon, and silence. I did not know it but
one of my best friends Stanley Wesley Dix of New Orleans had just charged forward by himself, silencing the machine gun, killed three North Vietnamese, and died, winning a posthumous Silver Star for that day. It was later that I found out that Dix had laid down his life for his white and black comrades on the same day that there had been race riots in Newark, New Jersey, in which Americans killed other Americans.

All total of 21 Brave young men died in this battle.

Name Rank Unit Date of KIA Hometown State Line #
Dix, Stanley Wesley SP4 B/3/8 7/23/1967 New Orleans LA 23E/109
Barrett, Charles Arthur II 1LT C/3/8 7/23/1967 Glenville WV 23E/108
Beranek, Dean Mitchell SGT C/3/8 7/23/1967 Rice Lake WI 23E/109
Blaese, Ronald Paul PFC C/3/8 7/23/1967 Combined Locks WI 23E/109
Fischer, James Robert SGT C/3/8 7/23/1967 Oshkosh WI 23E/110
Goldsmith, Roger Dwight SP4 C/3/8 7/23/1967 Black River Falls WI 23E/110
Irizarry, Jose Angel PFC C/3/8 7/23/1967 New York NY 23E/111
Jarrett, Lemoyndue SP4 C/3/8 7/23/1967 Alton IL 23E/111
Johnson, Samuel Arlon SP4 C/3/8 7/23/1967 Peebles OH 23E/111
Mooer, Gary Owen SP4 C/3/8 7/23/1967 Rosebud MT 23E/111
Nelson, Robert Allen SGT C/3/8 7/23/1967 Alton IL 23E/112
Oliver, Charles Edward PFC C/3/8 7/23/1967 Seminole OK 23E/113
Rodrigues, Eugenio SP4 C/3/8 7/23/1967 Santa Fe Springs CA 23E/113
Saltmarsh, James John PFC C/3/8 7/23/1967 Ausable Forks NY 23E/113
Steadman, Sterling Dwight SP4 C/3/8 7/23/1967 Lake Stevens WA 23E/114
Stinnett, Richard Doil SGT C/3/8 7/23/1967 Roseburg OR 23E/114
Volpone, Dante PFC C/3/8 7/23/1967 Newark NJ 23E/114
Wells, Bobby Gene PFC C/3/8 7/23/1967 Flowery Branch GA 23E/115
Lebitz, Stephen Jr. SP4 HHC/3/8 7/23/1967 Forest Hills NY 23E/111
Sutton, Larry Ivan SP4 HHC/3/8 7/23/1967 Danbury WI 23E/114
Tramell, Daniel PFC HHC/3/8 7/23/1967 Bakersfield CA 23E/114

No comments: