Thursday, January 25, 2007

Photo Of The 170th Assault Helicopter Company: "The Bikini's"


Click On The Image To Enlarge %

I will never forget those wonderful birds. They were our lifeline with the outside world. I remember them having a Bikini Clad girl painted on the nose of all their choppers. They resupplied us every 4 days with food, ammunition and on the 8th day they would bring us our SP packs.

I remember the SP packs contained our mail, toiletries, one pair of clean clothing , 1 hot meal. I still remember whenever it was possible a chaplain would come out and hold a church service with us.

I believe that after every 8 days in the Bush they would rotate one of our Line Company's (A,B and C company) to guard our Forward Fire Base. I believe the term was in Reserve. The Forward Fire Base contained our Headquarters Company and our supporting Artillery. I remember that we operated with 2 line companies @ a time in the Bush. We were also close to each other in case we had to assist each other. We only could operate a certain amount of distance between us and our 105 MM Artillery in the Forward Fire Base because of their limited range of fire support.

http://www.170th.org/Html/Bikinis.html

No comments: