Sunday, February 18, 2007

Photo Of Kurt Nagl & Charlie Steinmetz

Click On The Image To Enlarge %


This photo was given to me by my good friend Kurt Nagl. Even though he is a YANKEE from Maryland, I still claim him as my Brother-In-Arms along with Charlie. Kurt was a an A-1 medic over there in Nam. Lionel Dudley nicknamed him the "Flat Footed German Yankee" but he is from Austria instead. I found the following quote from the Ivy Dragoons Website Guestbook by Kurt:

Nov.22, Thanksgiving Eve., Two Anniversaries for me. The first, Nov.22, 1955 I stepped off a ship in NY Harbor on my way to become an AMERICAN. That was 51 years ago. 40 years ago on Thanksgiving eve, before I was sent out to B Co. I was pulling perimeter guard on FBC. Since I had surgical skills, I was asked to carve all the TURKEYS in Sgt Bagleys Mess Tent for the Battalion. I spent all night carving & fellow immigrant an Irishman named Ryan, spent the night Baking. We were still in Tuy Hoa chasing Charlie & not NVA in the Highlands, which came later. Peace My Brothers & Let Us Give Thanks. Doc

Let me tell you about my friend Charlie. I still remember Charlie in Basic Training getting Giged about every day for not SHAVING. Charlie had the blackest, thickest beard and after he shaved he still didn't look like he had shaved. The rest of us BOYS 18-19 yrs old only had fuzz. I hope to see both of them this June at our next reunion down in Nashville. I saw Kurt about 36 years ago and Charlie it has been about 39-40 years since I saw him. I fought beside Charlie @ Plei Doch and Plei Ya Bo and all of the smaller skirmishes.

No comments: