Monday, January 15, 2007

Photo of Leroy Shaffer, Bobby Woods, Tommy Routh and Stanley W. Dix

Click On The Image To Enlarge

This is my only Photo of Stanley W. Dix. He was killed in The Battle for Plei Ya Bo (Three Trees). You can read about the details of how Stanley was killed that day July 23, 1967. I will tell you a story about Stanley W. Dix.

Something like about 1 year ago I received an email from a Stanley W. Dix. I thought someone was playing a dirty trick on me because I knew beyond a reason of doubt that Stanley was dead. I was afraid to open the email. Curiosity finally won out with me and boy did I receive a surprise.

He told me that his grandmother (Stans Mother) wanted him named after his Uncle Stanley W. Dix. He went on to tell me that his grandmother willed all of Stanleys personal belongings to him. He told me that a chest that he received from his Grandmother contained A SILVER STAR POSTHUMOUSLY and a small piece of a $1 Bill USD.

He told me that he found my site when he performed a search on Stanley W. Dix.
He asked me how his uncle won the SILVER STAR and if I held one of the pieces of the $1 Bill. His note told me that he believes the $1 bill was torn into and distributed to about 3 other GIs, sort of like BLOOD BROTHERS.

I scanned a page from Charlie Floods Book "THE WAR OF THE INNOCENTS" that told about how Stanley was killed that day and how that he was granted the SILVER STAR. I went on to tell him that I wasn't a holder of a section of the $1 but I would email some of my Comrades to ask them.

No comments: