Monday, January 15, 2007

Photo of Richard Wilkins


Click On The Image To Enlarge

I saw this photo sometime ago in our Ivy Dragoons Newsletter. It just happened that I did a lot of research for this persons name. You know certain images are burned in our brains. I have this image of a young man lying face down dead with a huge pile of 12 Gauge Shotgun, 00 Buck Shot casings. I also saw a huge pile of North Vietnamese Regular Army troops lying dead about 10-20 meters of this young mans front. This young kids name was Richard Wilkins. I found out from some of his platoon members his name. He was is in my sister company "C". I was in "B" Company. The Battle was Plei Doch, and the date was May 26, 1967. You can read all about this famous Battle in my posts.
To make a long story short I answered Paul's add by emailing him. I am going to post our E-mails to each other. Paul sent his Midnight Train Ride to Moscow in one of his e-mails. I have already posted it. The Army doesn't really tell the stories like a fellow GRUNT can tell them. Oh yes, Dan Wilkins brother to Richard, emailed me also and told me just how much that my e-mails meant to him. I call it closure some 39 1/2 years later.

No comments: